Are you the next Undergraduate of the Year?
- Aimed at finding the best undergraduates in the UK.
- Fantastic prize for the winner, including a paid internship, trips abroad and other exclusive opportunities.
- There are nine awards on offer and you can only apply for one, so narrow down and choose the right award for you.
- Further details
Latest update 3 December 2020
The Careers Team is excited to be supporting you throughout university, to help you make the most of your St Andrews experience! It’s never too early to get involved; no matter what year you are in or what you are studying:
- Speak with an adviser - book one of our appointments to talk to a Careers Adviser about any careers-related questions.
- Attend events - we host a range of events throughout the year, from skills sessions and employer workshops, to careers fairs and alumni panels.
- Find opportunities - we promote thousands of part-time work, volunteering, internship and graduate vacancies.
- Career Matters - 3 December - keep up-to-date with new events and opportunities.
New to the Careers Centre? Check out these useful resources to get started!
- Look Local - the Careers Centre can help you find part-time work and volunteering opportunities in St Andrews and the surrounding areas, that will fit alongside your studies
- Check out our video to take an e-trip to the Careers Centre, and find out how to make the most of the careers service
- Careers A-Z – explore popular career sectors
- CVs and application process – write the perfect CV and make your application stand out
- Subscriptions – resources purchased by the Careers Centre
- Graduate Attributes - the knowledge, skills and capabilities that you can develop throughout your time at St Andrews
- Professional Skills Curriculum (PSC) – a wide range of workshops that develop the professional and employability skills of all students
- Work experience for 1st / 2nd year students
- Visa information for working in the UK (Student Service)
The Careers Centre is committed to supporting you as you take your next steps after graduation. For up to three years after graduation, you can access our resources and get the careers support which will allow you to achieve your goals and progress in your career.
Graduate Opportunities on CareerConnect
Please note: Students who have recently graduated must register as a graduate on CareerConnect to have continued access to our resources for up to 3 years after graduation.
St Andrews alumni have achieved career success in every sector all over the globe.
Notes from the recent inspiring China Alumni Careers Panel are available now!
Practical actions you can take to enhance your employability.
Careers Centre - Winter Work Shadowing Programme
Don't miss this amazing opportunity to workshadow alumni, staff and friends of the University at their place of work!
These shadow periods come in many forms, ranging from informal chats over coffee to a day or more shadowing someone in the workplace. All work shadowing opportunities will take place virtually.
- This scheme is open to students in any year of study.
- Applications for the Winter 2020 scheme are now open. Further details.
We have many alumni, staff and employers, signing up every day. Find that person who can help support and guide you in your studies, life and career aspirations … or just share your thoughts … all welcome! Login to find a connection
Stay ahead and make sure you have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile. Read The graduate's guide to creating the perfect LinkedIn profile.
Connect with our brilliant Alum Ludovic Meaby (Executive Trainee, Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong) on LinkedIn to have a 30-mins chat over your CV, Cover letter, Video interview, Assessment centre, and how to network your way to a referral.
Part-time, internship and freelance opportunities
- My World of Work - part-time work in St Andrews and across Scotland
- Internship Experience UK - virtual internships for students and new graduates
- Upwork - freelance work in the UK
- The Guardian Jobs board - work from home jobs
- ThirdSector Jobs, CharityJob - charity jobs in home working
Volunteering opportunities and guidance
- TargetJobs - volunteer your way to a graduate job
- Scotland-based volunteering
- UK-wide volunteering
- Worldwide online volunteering with United Nations
- Creative industries volunteering
Courses and qualifications
- St Andrews Study Abroad Programmes
- Free online course - Internships and other work experiences
- OpenLearn MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses)
- Becoming a CPA
- ICAS - how to become a Chartered Accountant
- CFA Institute
To find out about the wide variety of events we offer, please check the Events page
- ST.A.F.F (ST Andrews Flex Fund) Programme - vacancies of Units and Schools all across the University will be available under ST.A.F.F Programme throughout the year. Make sure to keep an eye on CareerConnect and apply.
- Canada – UK Foundation : Fellowships, Scholarships & Studying Abroad - Wednesday December
- Resolution Foundation Workshop – 10 December 2020
- Internship Experience UK
- GSA Sparks Competition
- Adobe Digital Edge Award
The Laidlaw Leadership and Research Programme - Applications close on 27 January 2021
Become a Laidlaw Scholar to get equipped with the skills and values to become leaders in your chosen occupations beyond University. It provides wonderful opportunities to conduct your research with partner universities overseas and gain work experience by taking internships.
Santander Tech Scholarships - register by 30 December 2020
This is a 100% online programme , developed for students, university graduates and young professionals between 20 and 35 years old.
Santander is offering 400 Scholarships to allow successful applicants to choose one of the 4 online 8 week Professional Certificate programmes offered by MIT Professional Education:
- Blockchain : Disruptive Technology
- Cloud & DevOps: Continuous Transformation
- Machine Learning : From Data to Decisions
- Designing Product Families : From Strategy to Implementation
TargetJobs future events and competitions
- ICAEW100 Competition - closes on Monday 19 April 2021
- The Undergraduate of the Year Awards 2021 - submit by 1 February 2021
GoinGlobal Live Training Sessions – various dates
Need to quickly target the GoinGlobal content that best meets your needs? Participate in a professionally-guided training session to get insider strategies on how to best explore GoinGlobal’s wide range of career and employment resources, including evolving and actionable resources for COVID in major economic centres around the world.
These resources have new roles added regularly. Register your interest for opportunities that will open in Autumn 2021.
- GoinGlobal - just added - 'Working During a Pandemic and COVID Career Advice'
- Rate my placement
- Handshake - who's hiring
- BBS.Yingjiesheng.com - up-to-date Internship schemes of major employers in China
- Lockin China Job Portal – find latest graduate jobs in China
- Upwork: freelance opportunities in North America and Australia
- India government jobs
- The Borgen Project – remote internships worldwide
- Generation UK Programme – internships in China for UK/EU students and graduates sponsored by the British Council
- Worldwide online volunteering with United Nations
- China Development Brief - NGO and charity jobs/internships/volunteering in China (in Chinese and English)
- Chambers Student - Exploring trainee secondments and career moves into the dynamic Asian legal market
Employer and Industry insights
- UK graduate labour market update: 3 December
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers in the UK 2020-2021
- Covid-19 and the Asia legal market
- Global careering in a post-COVID world
- Citi Career Inspiration Discussion Platform: career tips, interview advice, and employees’ stories of Citi
- Coca-Cola EP answer your questions about getting graduate jobs and opportunities during Covid19
- Which Industries Feel Most Secure? (UK)
- EY recruiters have created dedicated materials and tools to help you rebuild your working world. (scroll down to the bottom of EY page and see Learning Resources)
Voice of Alumni Videos
- Waste Left, Remake Right - REMAKEHUB St Andrews Talk
- FTI Consulting Forensic Investigations Presentation
- USA Alumni Panel - Careers in US Non-profits
- Six tips for succeeding at a virtual careers fair
- 6 Tips for Starting and Succeeding at a Fully Remote Job
- 3 Virtual Interview Tips and a Checklist
- A student's guide to virtual internships
Career Planning and Preparation
- Advice on becoming a teacher and graduate careers in Education
- The 30 largest accounting and advisory firms in Singapore – to learn more about consultancy sector in Asia
- Career-friendly activities you can do while social distancing
- 2020 Lockin Online Workshop (downloadable resources in Chinese including China job market anylisis, how to research employers, campus recruitment timeline, recruitment process, employer tests etc.)
- Start your career journey: a step-by-step career planner and learning resource in English and Chinese
- China careers online resources (top job websites, apps and WeChat public accounts in China)
- Women’s Business Centre: New support is available online to help women considering starting up their own business.
- For Would-Be Academics, Now is the Time to Get Serious About Plan B (and helpful resources for how to do that)